Thursday, June 5, 2008

Affirm Yourself!

If we are to be transformed by the renewing our minds so that we won't be conformed to this world, just how to we think this transformation is going to happen? Perhaps one way is by daily affirmations. Yeah...Yeah...you've heard this already. But have you ever tried it!? I know...I know...it took me years and years before I tried daily affirmations too, but now I am convinced of their value. Allow me to share two stories.

Story One

One of my daily affirmations is "I enjoy being a wife and a mother". In October, 2007, I was volunteering at one of my 13 year old son's football games. I was on the sideline taking score. The team did not have another clipboard so my hand was my clipboard. It got a little cloudy. The wind started blowing. It started to rain. I didn't have an umbrella. This was my son's first season playing tackle football, but I knew that the game would not be called because of rain. The ink started to bleed on the score paper. The wind and rain blew in my face. I was getting cold. Then out of nowhere I heard a voice. It sounded like my voice but I wasn't speaking. But there it was again...that was my voice. All of a sudden I heard it again, it was me....somewhere down on the inside of me ...I heard, "I enjoy being a wife and a mother." All I could do was laugh. I was about to get real upset and vow never to allow my son to play tackle football again, but instead, all I could do was laugh. Then about 10 minutes later or less, the rain stopped.

Story Two

It was my goal to do the 2008 Los Angeles Marathon in less time than I did in 2007. ( I run and walk the marathon. I don't run the entire course.) So, I trained accordingly. During the marathon, as I reached the 11th mile I was not making the time I had trained for. My timing was off. I was taking longer than planned for each mile. I started getting a little discouraged. Then there was that voice again. One of my daily affirmations while training for the marathon was, "I can run faster than I think." Somewhere between mile 11 and 12, I heard my voice tell me, "I can run faster than I think". I agreed. I finished the marathon 54 minutes less than I did in the last one.

Affirm yourself!

You can eat less!
You can exercise!
You can eat only one dessert!
You can walk more than a couple of blocks!

Renew your mind!

7 comments:

Fran said...

This is excellent!! Great job! I am very proud of you.

Francine

Dale W. Hill said...

Thank you Francine!!

Unknown said...

Wow Sister Dale...I am so proud of you...I look forward to hearing more from you, and to utilizing some of the great tips that you have incorporated into this anointed blogg...you better go girl. (Go Jesus really) Please add my personal gmail address to your file..denisejanine@gmail.com ...that way I can enjoy these great tips at home. Love ya, Denise Neal

Jackie said...

It looks great.........I'm proud of you.. Follow your passion

Dale W. Hill said...

Thank you Sisr! (Yes, I meant S-i-s-r)

I love you!

Dale W. Hill said...

Thank you Sisr! (Yes, I meant S-i-s-r)

I love you!

Dale W. Hill said...
This comment has been removed by the author.