Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Do Something Different!

Because of some physical challenges I’ve had in my left foot/ankle for the past few weeks, I’ve been unable to run four-five times a week the way I normally do. The first week, I tried walking instead of running for my cardio workout; still uncomfortable. The second week I tried the elliptical machine at the gym; still uncomfortable. So, yesterday I rode my bike instead – not a stationary bike at the gym, but a real bicycle. Yes, it has been a while since I rode. I haven’t ridden my bike much since I did the 25-mile Acura Bike Tour in 2006, but thank goodness, once you learn how to ride a bike you really do never forget. But, I miss running. I miss the track. I miss the gang at the track. Today, day two of riding my bike, as I was riding and feeling sorry for myself, before I knew it, I was reminded how much I love working out outside early in the morning; early before everyone begins their hustle and bustle; while the birds are still singing and the wind is still crisp and the sun is still on the horizon waiting for the perfect time to rise, as the moon gives out one last shout. Hmmm…my pity party soon turned to a praise party, as I seemed to fly along the not-so-busy-yet-but-just-you-wait-and-see streets in my neighborhood. As I rode, I began my daily regimen of reciting scriptures that I meditate on during my morning workouts. Hmmm…. I dare you to try an early morning workout outside. I know…. I know…that means you would have to get up earlier. I know….I know…. O.K. O.K., if not an early workout, because YOU ARE JUST NOT A MORNING PERSON, then at least try something different for your workout routine this week –whether it’s in the morning, noon, or night. Keep it interesting! Keep it fun! Keep it exciting! If we do the same old workout routine all of the time then we risk getting bored and then we may stop altogether. Try the gym instead of the tennis courts! Take a walk instead of swimming! Take a spinning class instead of an aerobics class! Jump rope instead of doing your exercise tape! Walk faster than you usually do! Walk further than you usually do! What a concept!! I can’t wait to hear what you are going to do different this week!

1 comment:

LaVerne said...

Funny you should suggest doing "something different!" I usually work-out at home a few times per week on the exercise equipment that I have here in my little exercise room. About a week or two ago, however, I decided to walk/jog outside in the morning (Not as early in the morning as you, Dale. You know I don't even like to wake up before GOD turns on the lights outside.) But, nonetheless, I decided to do “something different” by breathing in some fresh Georgia morning air while walking/jogging to my post office box and back. It's only a little over a mile in each direction, so I decided to save those precious drops of costly gasoline. Now, I combine my post office trip with my morning exercise a couple times per week...and I'm praying as I go. So, that walk/jog feels three times more productive, as I pray, I exercise and I take care of an errand, all at once. Now I must say that unlike many people who really ENJOY this kind of exertion, this is definitely not my idea of "fun." (LOL) Nor is my workout at home for that matter. So, I totally empathize with anyone who just gives a big "heavy sigh" at the thought of sweating your hair-do out and wearing your body out, all in the name of “cardio.” BUT, I do it anyway…..3 to 4 times a week,…just like I do laundry 3 to 4 times a week, or just like I stop by the gasoline station on a regular basis, or just like I go grocery shopping every week....not because it's "fun" but because it's "necessary" for good stewardship of this one and only body that the Lord has given me. Is exercise guaranteed to extend my life? No, the Lord knows and has already numbered my days! Is it guaranteed to keep me looking young? No, at age 49, the aging process is still doing some of the things that aging will do to the human body. BUT, my exercising just might improve the QUALITY of the days ahead. It just MIGHT give me less to complain about in old age. It just MIGHT give me the stamina, mobility, and good health to be able to dance at a few more weddings and graduation parties for my offspring....to preach a few more sermons...to win a few more people to the Lord Jesus Christ! And if so, then every drop of sweat is worth it! I always enjoy reading what you post, Dale. Thanks for helping to keep us motivated!