Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Aging Gracefully

Just what does it mean to age gracefully? More aches, illnesses lasting longer, and less patience. Just how does one do that gracefully? Well, one way may be to continue exercising! I know….I know…..some of you are so SICK of hearing about exercising!!! Well, get over it! Authors Chris Crowley and Henry Lodge, M.D. from the book ‘Younger Next Year’ say,...... “Decay – that’s the message the brain sends to your body after around age 40 if you are sedentary……Conversely, the latest science has found that exercise overrides the “decay” signal by sending powerful chemical messages to the brain and body to grow and stay strong. Aging is inevitable, but researchers say that exercise – along with other lifestyle factors – slows down the degeneration of the body and brain so that you can enjoy an active and healthy life well into your eighties or beyond." (O.K. We need to stop right here and give God a SERIOUS Shout Out! Isn't He awesome?! Adam and Eve 'blow it' for us all in the garden of Eden so now we have these decaying bodies. BUT GOD gives us a way to override the 'decay' signal! Well, I'll just praise Him myself then! HALLELUJAH!!!.....but I digress...) SO,if you are 40 or older you just OUGHT to be running to your closet and putting on your tennis shoes right about NOW ! Ready, Get Set, Go! How many more studies or quotes do you need to read before you ‘get it’? And, if you are not 40 yet, don’t even think you will WAIT until you turn 40 to choose a regular exercise regimen! Not! I think that is highly unlikely! Look, I know it’s not always easy. Take this morning for example. Oh, my GOSH, was it hard for me to get up for my walk! First of all, when I hit the snooze button on the alarm I noticed how cold my house was! Goodness! It felt like ice! Yet, it was so warm under the covers! I just couldn’t get up! Then, when I hit the snooze button a second time, I noticed how GO-OO-OOD my bed felt! Must I get up, I thought?! Can’t I skip today’s exercising, I thought?! But, finally, after hitting the snooze button a third time, I got up. As a result of those delays, since I do my morning devotional before I do anything else, my 60 minute power walk had to be reduced to a 45 minute power walk so that I could get to work on time, but it was still worth it, because believe it or not, it wasn’t as cold outside as it was in my house, and, before I knew it I was having a good ‘ole time on my walk! I was mad at myself for hitting the snooze button three times! I wanted my 15 additional minutes! What a great way to start the day! See! It’s always better once you just get up and do it! Isn’t that what we tell our children?! So, what do you need to jump-start your exercise regimen? We simply don’t have any more excuses for why we don't exercise because we now have too many choices! So, find what works for you and choose to age gracefully – no matter how old you are.

No comments: