Monday, March 30, 2009

I'M ADDICTED!!

I had three reasons NOT to participate in the Los Angeles Marathon this year. One, the organizers moved it to May 25th! How inconsiderate! The weather will be much warmer than in March when the event is usually held, which can be very hazardous to the participants. Two, the tendonitis in my left foot will not allow me to run. I would have to power walk the entire event. I really miss running. Though I have not run the entire 26.2 miles yet, each time I’ve completed the event I’ve run for a longer distance and I was looking forward to running even more miles before starting to walk, this time around. Though I am beginning to enjoy power walking and its benefits, would I have the same thrilling experience if I walk the entire route, I wondered? Three, I HATED the route last year! It was awful!! We could see the finishing point then the route would take us South!!! It was so discouraging mentally! And to my knowledge I don’t think they are going to change the route this year. All good reasons, right? NOT!! I’m addicted! I don’t even know why I THOUGHT I would not participate! I’m addicted! You know how addictions are, right? You can’t always explain them. You don’t always understand them. You just do them. For me, from the marathon it’s the camaraderie…..!....the adrenalin!..... the crowds cheering you on..!... Striving for a personal best!...AND OF COURSE, THE MEDAL!!!!!! Yep! I’m addicted! By God’s grace I’ll once again be one of 20,000! My adrenalin is starting to pump at just the thought of it!! So what are some of your addictions? Certainly, when we hear the word ‘addiction’ we don’t think of anything positive or fairly harmless like the addiction I just described. Often an addiction is something that can cause us harm and that we need to be rid of. As you move forward in your health you may have discovered an addiction that you want out of your life. For example, another addiction of mine is night time snacking. Even though I now snack on healthy foods, it’s still an addiction that I’d like to be rid of. I don’t want to give it up all together but I need help in this area. Let’s join forces. Let’s pray for each other that we will have the strength and desire to stop our unhealthy addictions. Remember, we can do all things through Christ who strengthens us. (Phil 4:13)

P.S Don’t think I have decided to walk the Marathon without any effort up until now or a plan to train from here out. NOT! Since I haven’t been able to run, I’ve been walking about 15-20 miles per week. And in the last couple of months, since I knew I was contemplating doing the Marathon, I walked to my Weight Watchers meeting several times which is just shy of 10 miles total, to see how my feet would feel after such a walk. So! Now the real training begins! I’ve got a good 7 weeks. So I will add additional miles during the week and 10-12 miles at one time on Saturdays until the event. If God be for me, who can be against me! (from Romans 8:31)

No comments: