Thursday, December 24, 2009

A Heavenly Conversation

The Son: Father, you look troubled. What is it?

The Father: It is that time of year when so many of my children will declare that they will make better choices for their physical well-being in the coming year,
but so much of what they say will simply be lip-service.

The Son: (always the intercessor) Oh, come now, Father, they are sincere, and they do mean well, but it can be extremely difficult to undo years and years of poor habits.

The Father: “Extremely difficult”….,Hmmm…would that be on the same level as the
Red Sea that I parted?.....Or, perhaps the Jericho wall that went tumbling
down like children toy building blocks?

The Son: Father, you know what I mean. They are faced with so many distractions and temptations and lack of time.

The Father: ..and lack of true desire…..Son, there are so many little things that can be done, such as parking further from entrances, cutting back on desserts, walking 30 minutes per day (in increments of 10 minutes if one must), substituting some of the ingredients they normally cook with, taking the stairs when given the option, etc. But what grieves me the most is that they ‘know’ these things! Yes, some are perishing and coming home to us much too soon, for lack of knowledge, but many are perishing because they refuse to ‘apply’ the knowledge they already have.

The Holy Spirit: I would help them and give them guidance, if they would just ask. And those that do ask often ignore my nudging and my pleading. I speak in the Supermarket. I speak when they go to restaurants. I speak when they’re at family occasions. I am always speaking! But, many of them choose to hear certain instructions, and ignore others.

The Son: But, Father, we all know that the kingdom of God is not meat and drink, but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost. And, bodily exercise profiteth little: but godliness is profitable unto all things, having promise of the life that now is, and of that which is to come. These that you speak of have chosen the best part.

The Father: Yes, my Son, and we also know that to live a life full of me includes self-control, moderation, and a pure, undefiled temple set aside for my use. They are to be my witnesses in more than just their spiritual lives. Besides...I so yearn to give them not just my sufficient grace in this area of their lives, but also a life of abundance!

The Son: This year will be different Father. I know it will. Be patient. Please.

The Father: Yes, that I will do. With me, all things are possible.

No comments: